Tony's Eye

Here you will find my views on whatever happens to be in my thoughts. "The eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me: my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing and one love." - Johannes Eckhart (German Sermon No. 12)

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Week 5 LOST

27 April 2010

So here I am, Ukulele class is right at the mid point (week 5).

I was prepared for the class when it began. My ukulele had arrived in early March and I spent a little bit of time getting ready for the April class. I learned what I assumed to be the first group of chords we would learn, and practiced them. C, C7, G, G7, F, D, D7, and A became familiar to me and almost comfortable. I was able to get into the hand positions and make a good clean sounding chord for each of these, and this held me in good stead for the first 3 weeks of class.

Week 3 introduced a few new chords, Am, and E7 to me, and the transitions between chords started to get quicker in the songs that were assigned.

I’ve been battling with the Bb chord, and have about a 40% to 60% success rate in getting it. It seems that I have either an issue with my ring finger making contact with the third string while pressing down on the fourth, or the index finger does not apply enough pressure to A string (number 1) while pressing both the first 2 string, creating a dead string. This chord came up in week 3, but I was and still am ready for it. Eek…

Health issues kept me from attending class number 4, and I knew I was in trouble. Class 5 was on April 27th. I was bright and early and to help me out a bit, I brought my tenor Uke instead of the smaller “Watermelon”, my thinking is that it would help me out a bit as it has more room on the fret board and allows for looser/less-exact finger positioning. My thinking was that I needed every advantage I could get.

This week’s class started out great; I picked up the handouts from the previous week, and then I looked at them... There were a few new chords, F7, A7, one of the songs transitioned from strumming (which is what we had been doing since the first meeting) to strumming and picking notes. I’ve been working on this at home on my own.

At this point though, I’m feeling a little lost. We have a handful of strumming patterns, 1 finger picking pattern, 20+ chords, and 18 songs.

Did I say “a little lost”?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home