Tony's Eye

Here you will find my views on whatever happens to be in my thoughts. "The eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me: my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing and one love." - Johannes Eckhart (German Sermon No. 12)

Friday, March 05, 2010

Sax and Violins

Flash forward 30 years.

My children showed interests in musical instruments; for my daughter it was the piano when she was very young, then later the sax, my son wanted to learn the drums. I did all I could to give them the opportunity to learn and experience what had interested them. I wanted to ensure that they had the opportunities that I did not as a child.

I’ve been listening to violin music for many years, I still have the bug. One day I decided to buy a violin and start learning to play. I was approaching 40 and felt that it was about time. A few months after I bought the violin, one of the community colleges offered an introductory violin class. I immediately signed up.

The class was fun, hard work, but fun! I signed up for private lessons after the class had ended. Unfortunately I had several conflicts with available lesson times and my work, but I continued on. I learned to play in first and in third position. And what I was doing was actually beginning to sound like music; my dog would actually come and lay down next to me while I played. Then a series of medical issues put a stop to my violin playing. RA and spinal issues made it impossible to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home